Events and Classes
Education is a key component to any successful and comprehensive injury prevention program. Safe Kids Grand Forks conducts many classes that are geared for parents, children, caregivers, health professionals, law enforcement personnel and many others involved in taking care of children and youth. Below is a listing of our routinely scheduled classes. One-time events will be listed on the Upcoming Events Calendar with a link to the registration information.
If you would like to request a training for your business, staff, agency or group, please contact us at any time and we will see how we can provide our services and expertise.
- Safe Kids Day - Saturday, April 1, 2017 from 10 am - 1 pm at Grand Cities Mall. Join us for this FREE event to learn more about keeping your kids
safe! We will have interactive booths set up with lots of information
and prizes to take home. Sign up for additional prizes to be drawn
after the event!
- Tummy to Tot Expo - Sunday, October 22, 2017, from Noon to 3 pm at the Alerus Center. Find the latest products, safety information, services and fashions. Shop for everything you and your little one will need, all under one roof!
Child Passenger Safety Related Classes
- Alive at 25 - This 4.5 hour defensive driving course is offered to young adults age 14-25. There are classes offered throughout the year - they are listed on the 2016 flyer and on the Upcoming Events calender.
- C.A.R.S. (Child and Restraint System) - This 3 1/2 hour class is designed for foster and child care providers and law enforcement officers. It meets the Minnesota requirement for licensing and for Toward Zero Death grants. The class can also be attended by ND providers for Growing Futures credit. The class is offered monthly.
- Bringing Home Baby- This class is geared for new and expectant parents. It consists of 1 hour of classroom education followed by hands-on assistance in the participant's vehicle to install their car seat. It is offered weekly at various times.
- Grandparent Basics: Have you heard how much has changed with infant care? Car seats, sleep sacks, and feeding recommendations are just the beginning. This class is designed for expectant and new grandparents and is offered four times in 2017.
- Training Course for Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians - Each spring/summer, Safe Kids Grand Forks hosts the 3 1/2 day training course for those interested in becoming car seat technicians. This is also offered in other locations in the state from May-September.
- ND Regularly Scheduled Car Seat Check-up Events (statewide)- Several agencies offer regularly scheduled car seat check-up events across the state of North Dakota. Click on the link for a flyer with more information.
Home Safety Related Classes
- BLAST (Babysitting) Training Course- This class is held periodically in conjunction with Altru Health System. There are classes offered throughout the year.. Click here for class dates and times and to register online.
- Home Safety Training - This course is held at least annually by Safe Kids Grand Forks and is intended to train home visitors or agency staff working with clients in their home about ways to keep kids safe in their home environment. 2016 dates are Thursday, February 4 and Tuesday, September 27. Growing Futures credit is available.
- SIDS Training - This course, while not routinely scheduled, is available for those needing information on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and ways to prevent these types of deaths. The class is 1 hour in length and CEU's are available for a variety of providers. Call Safe Kids for more details
- Safe Kids Top 10 - This course takes participants through the top 10 risk areas that we would encourage parents and caregivers to focus on to keep their kids safe. Call Safe Kids for more details.
Water Safety Classes
- Kids Don't Float - This is an annual class that is taught in conjunction with UND. We teach 6 classes over a 3-day period of time. The classes are geared for children in the local school systems.
- Adaptive Aquatics Training Course - This course is designed for certified Water Safety Instructors, lifeguards or other persons who frequently work with individuals with special needs (i.e. physical therapists, paraprofessionals, etc.) This course DOES NOT certify attendees as a lifeguard or WSI. It only provides guidance for working with children with special needs in an aquatic setting. Application Form
Upcoming Events Calendar
Here is a quick overview of upcoming Safe Kids Grand Forks events. Click on the event title for more information about that activity. Note: All Car Seat Check-up events are highlighted in green, C.A.R.S. classes are in yellow, and Bringing Home Baby classes are in blue.